Friday, July 17, 2009


Choosing a Baby Name:
My experience has been that the ideal situation for choosing a baby name is this. When people ask, “so have you picked out any names yet?” Either respond with, “no.” or “yes, and the name is going to be (list off a name that’s not too out of the ordinary like John, Matthew, or Nickolas”) This may not be the real name you have chosen, but it will likely ensure no negative comments. What possible bad things could come from a distinguished name like John, right? Keep the real name a secret! When it is good and legal, like permanently on the birth certificate, then you can tell people. Because at that point, hopefully they will realize their opinion doesn’t matter and they will feel no obligation to make known their like or dislike of the name, thus leaving you and your chosen baby name alone.

This has been my experience.
Person A: “So have you picked out a baby name?”
Stephanie: “Well, kinda”
Person A: “So what did you have in mind?”
Stephanie: “Well, Devin really likes the name Silas, so I think we might go with that.”
Person A: “Silas, really? (face usually crumples in disgust) Isn’t that like the bad guy’s name on Heroes?
Stephanie: “Actually his name is Siler, and yes, really.”
Person A: “Isn’t there a crazy delusional character in the Da Vinci Code with that name?
Stephanie: “Yes, the albino Monk is named Silas.”
Person A: (After feelings of disgust and dislike are made known, then comes the inevitable list of other more suitable suggestions)“How about something like Miles, or Tyler? Oh I know! Why don’t you name him Maddox, or Hercules?” (In other words, anything other than Silas would be good…)
Stephanie: “I’ll think about it, thanks.”
You’d think after some of the reactions I’ve gotten that I’ve decided to name the child Adolf or Hannibal.
In my mind I’m thinking, “Yes, Silas is the name of the delusional albino Monk in a fictional story line, but it also happens to be the name of one of Paul’s (as in the great apostle from the BIBLE, a pretty popular story if you can remember) proseliting side kick in the book of Thessalonians!”

Other instances where I have chosen to reveal baby’s name resulted in chuckles or accusations of “giving one a hard time.” As if revealing the name Silas was a cruel practical joke to be played on someone. That was probably the most disheartening outcome of revealing our baby’s chosen name to an individual. After my mom (yes, she is regrettably the culprit) finally realized that we were indeed serious and not trying to “pull anyone’s leg” she quickly repented and accepted the fate of having one grandson named Silas Austin. I think she has since recovered.

Next time, (and I suggest this plan of action for anyone not planning on naming their child something mundane and common), I plan on telling everyone that the baby’s name is Charles or Daniel, or at least until he comes and his name is put on the official birth certificate. What could be said then?

3 comments:

Megan said...

Stephanie, you've always been such a good writer! This reminds me of the long detailed e-mails from New Zealand! I thoroughly enjoyed reading these posts...keep it up! I love the name SILAS!! It's perfect! Can't wait for the baby to come. Keep us posted! Love you much, Meg

Darci said...

I think Silas is a good name...especially if you want him to grow up to be the next great American ninja!

Nick and Emily said...

I love his name. He's so stinking handsome and he fits it to a T. Dang na sayers.